Wednesday, March 23, 2011

If I Could Live My Dream Life... What Would It Be?

It's so easy to bitch about what we don't like in our lives, but have you ever stopped to think if you could make a wish and your dream life would come true, what it would be?  I used to always say that my dream was to own a bed and breakfast somewhere tropical with an amazing spa and cuisine.  But just as so many things change when you become a mom, my dream life is no longer a realistic one (even for a dream life).  I can't imagine raising my kids on a tropical island and not giving them the best possible opportunities in life to succeed in the modern world.  So if that is no longer my dream life, then what is?

I had to stop and really think about it.  It's important to recognize your dream life, or how else will you work to achieve what will most make you happy?  Perhaps you can't live the full blown version of that dream, but you can certainly try and incorporate as many aspects as realistically possible.

So stop for a second.... you have all the money you could possibly need, you can do any type of work you want, and you can live anywhere in the world... what do you come up with?

Here's what I came up with...  although it does assume certain aspects of my current life i.e. husband & children, as well as the givens such as good health.
  • Live somewhere hot!  I hate winter with a passion, it totally depresses me.
  • Work for myself, from home - I think I would love to be a writer.  Starting this blog has been a real reminder that I've always loved to write... when I was little, I thought I would grow up to be a journalist.  I'm just not quite sure what type of writer I would want to be.
  • Travel and see the world - there are so many places I would like to see.  I would love to give my children the opportunity to experience and learn about the world and everything in it first-hand.
  • Be free to be there for my children and husband whenever, wherever it may be.
  • Have TIME to enjoy the things I love to do, as well as to do something charitable to make the world a better place.
When I look back at this, it's actually not a long list - only 5 bullets!  Not bad... of course it does assume money is no object, which as we know, dictates quite a lot about how we live our lives.  Now, if only I could come up with a strategy.... or win the lottery.

All that aside, I do believe you can create a list, believe that you deserve the items on that list, and then take small steps to achieve some of those dreams.  One thing I've learned in life is that if you don't try, you don't get.  So sitting back and complaining will not make the things you don't like disappear, only taking action can evoke change.  And boy, is it ever gratifying when you take things into your own hands and make things happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment