I had to stop and really think about it. It's important to recognize your dream life, or how else will you work to achieve what will most make you happy? Perhaps you can't live the full blown version of that dream, but you can certainly try and incorporate as many aspects as realistically possible.
So stop for a second.... you have all the money you could possibly need, you can do any type of work you want, and you can live anywhere in the world... what do you come up with?
Here's what I came up with... although it does assume certain aspects of my current life i.e. husband & children, as well as the givens such as good health.
- Live somewhere hot! I hate winter with a passion, it totally depresses me.
- Work for myself, from home - I think I would love to be a writer. Starting this blog has been a real reminder that I've always loved to write... when I was little, I thought I would grow up to be a journalist. I'm just not quite sure what type of writer I would want to be.
- Travel and see the world - there are so many places I would like to see. I would love to give my children the opportunity to experience and learn about the world and everything in it first-hand.
- Be free to be there for my children and husband whenever, wherever it may be.
- Have TIME to enjoy the things I love to do, as well as to do something charitable to make the world a better place.
All that aside, I do believe you can create a list, believe that you deserve the items on that list, and then take small steps to achieve some of those dreams. One thing I've learned in life is that if you don't try, you don't get. So sitting back and complaining will not make the things you don't like disappear, only taking action can evoke change. And boy, is it ever gratifying when you take things into your own hands and make things happen.