Friday, April 15, 2011

Do You Know What Makes You Happy?

This is a good TGIF - last day in the office before we're off on the family vacation for a week.  That makes me REALLY happy.  It made me start thinking about what else made me happy.  And then I thought, what if I made a list of those things and then tried to do or experience more of them on a regular basis?  It's definitely a habit worth making.  Do you know what makes you happy?

Here is my list.  No particular order.  It includes big things, as well as small ones. Probably not all-inclusive... but a good start.
  • family vacations (right now this is top of the list)
  • the first sight of my kids' faces in the morning and at the end of the work day
  • date night with my husband
  • the moment when I finish the 5am workout
  • a good hair day
  • the sound of my kids laughter, especially when they are laughing together
  • indulging in a delicious ice cream (or any other dessert, but I love ice cream)
  • sunshine warming my face (well, warm & sunny weather in general)
  • a success at work or praise from my boss(es)
  • writing my blog
  • when someone comments on my blog (hint, hint)
  • hearing from an old friend
  • shabbat dinner with family at our house
  • a glass of wine at the end of the day
  • waking up on the weekend and not having to rush out of the house, especially because it includes cuddling with the kids - no better way to start my day
  • reading a great book
  • playing bejeweled
  • watching my kids do something they enjoy and their sense of accomplishment when they master something new
  • shopping, especially when I'm in another city (and I get to browse at leisure)
  • feeling fit and healthy
  • cooking with my husband (and/or kids)
  • a great chick flick
  • an income tax refund (it's that time of year)
  • 8 straight hours of sleep - a rarity
  • hiking or walking outdoors on a beautiful day with the family
  • cuddling with my husband and kids in bed
  • some good female bonding
  • the beach, the ocean and mountains (in other words, beautiful scenery)
  • receiving flowers for no reason... at the office
  • a great, stress-relieving massage
  • a great song that makes me want to dance (even though I'm a crappy dancer)
  • a pedicure (thinking about the beach here and that my toes are not yet done)
  • a good traffic day - it means extra precious minutes with my kids
  • stimulating conversation
So I think I'll stop there... I could probably keep going but I'm feeling that you probably not only get the point of this exercise, but also a good idea about what makes me happy!  It's so easy to get caught up in the day-to-day challenges of the hectic life of a working mom, it's a lot harder to slow yourself down to enjoy the moment and squeeze in a few extra things that put a smile on your face.  A reminder once in a while is not a bad thing.

Wishing you all a good weekend and a happy passover to my Jewish friends!  I'll be back in a week ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment